Top Ad

Friday, November 8, 2013

Chapter 4


Virtial was still worried about Jem after the visit to his house. It was all he could think about as he headed to school the next day. He couldn’t shake the feeling that the father was doing something to Jem, he knew what could be happening but he couldn’t pin something on someone.
Virtial was distracted as he walked into the Academy on First’s Day. When he got to his locker he was exchanging books he would need that day with books he didn’t need. When he closed the door and turned to go to his first class, mathematics. Apparently he wasn’t the only one distracted that morning, because the minute his locker door closed, someone ran into him.
“Oh my God. I’m so sorry.” said the voice. Virtial picked up a book the person dropped. When he looked up his heart nearly stopped. The person he was looking at was probably the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. Her hair was a light brown the hung down to her shoulders and curled at the end, he features were soft a subtle, right in that moment time stopped.
“Um….Do you want to give my book back?” The girl said
“Oh, yeah, sorry.” Virtial, embarrassed, gave the book back. “My name’s Virtial, by the way. You new here? I haven’t seen you before.”
“Yeah my names Jocasta, just moved here from Wrolen Pointe on the other side of the Empire. It’s nice to meet you.” She said. She was quite intrigued by Virtial as well.
“What’s your first class?” Virtial asked.
“Math actually” Jocasta said.
“Mine too, are you able to come with me?”
“Sure I was going to hit up my locker but I don’t know where math is. Probably important to get to class rather than worrying about my stuff.”
So Jocasta went with Virtial to math. When the bell rung and math was over, that was one of the times Virtial wished the Math would last longer.
“Thanks for helping me find the class.” Said Jocasta bidding Virtial goodbye.
“Look, let’s do this again. Okay?” Virtial asked.
“Of course” Was the short response. The pair held the stare for a little longer than comfortable. Then they went their separate ways to their classes.
Virtial couldn’t focus all day. Between Jem and Jocasta he just couldn’t bring himself to concentrate on the items that were in front of him.
Virtial was by his locker when he saw Jocasta walk by him.
“Look,” He said ”If you don’t mind I could show you around town.”
“Sure!” Jocasta replied enthusiastically.
“Then grab the rest of your stuff and we can go.”
“Oh, are we going by car or foot?” Asked Jocasta.
“By foot to my house, then by car.”
“Then let’s get going.” So Virtial and Jocasta went out on the town so he could show her around. Ulian was a larger city, and evidence could be found of that as Virtial and Jocasta were speeding down the central highway to the center of the city.
“Yeah, so this is Ulian.” Virtial explained. They drove past tthe west district the skirted the central district.
“Wow, I haven’t really bothered to look around.” Jocasta looked amazed,”I thought that Ulian was a smaller town, I didn’t imagine it being this large.” The city of Ulian had exploded, and what once was a small buisness district had now become a center of a metropolis. Skyscrapers dotted the skyline as the two got closer to the center.
“Well, what did you expect? Staying in the Old District. You don’t see anything!” Said Virtial. Eventually they were in the midst of the bright signs and tall buildings.
“Wow this place is amazing!” Jocasta looked overloaded.
“Yeah, I’m gonna show you my favorite places here,” And so the grand tour of Ulian bagan. They started of by Virtial showing Jocasta the Yare park in the center of the city. They then went and watched some of the many entertainers perform in the government square. After all of this, the sightseeing, they went and grabbed gyros from Virtial’s favorite stall, then Virtial led Jocasta into an abandoned alley and then proceeded to open a door that was so well blended in with the wall, that a person that wasn’t looking for it probably wouldn’t see it.  Then they went up a flight of steps to a balcony high above the ground that had no railing , a building had been built in front of it, on the sign said “Gregorys Gremlins, the tasty snack to eat.”
“Wow.” Jocasta stammered.
“Welcome to my hideout. Probably not the most secure place, but I’ve never seen anyone up here.”
“So,” Said Virtial, sitting down,”What is it you’re doing here?”
“My Dad’s military.” Jocasta said, choosing to stand instead of sit.
“Oh...so you move often?”
“Yeah…I don’t really have friends.” Jocasta sat down and their conversation proceed with silence and eating.
“Look..I um..Really enjoyed today.” Jocasta said. “You’ve been the most amazing person at school lately. Little did I know I would be sitting on the top of a railing less balcony with a complete stranger, not saying that I don’t like you.” She finished.
“No, totally understood. And you’re welcome.”
“So you seem completely smart. Why aren’t you someplace other than here?” Jocasta asked.
“Because, I hate school. It feels so restricted, like they’ll make me learn what they want me to learn, even if I don’t like it.
“But you’re good at it.”
“I know I am. i just...I’ll learn what I want to learn, not what they make me learn.”
“Gotcha.”
“I better take you home before your parents think i kidnapped you.”
“Yeah, guess you’re right.” So Virtial and Jocasta made their way back to the car park. Then they headed back to Jocasta’s home, talking about life and Wrelin, the city where Jocasta was from. Virtial was disappointed for the second time that day.
“Look, here’s my number.” Jocasta gave Virtial her number.
“Thanks. Jocasta?”
“Yeah…”
“I...Hope you have a good day.” virtial had almost slipped and said he loved her.
“You, too.”
He then watched her go inside, with her long brown hair streaming behind her. He just wanted to grab her and kiss her, make her feel like she had a friend. But instead he just watched her go, open the door, and walk inside. He felt more unfocused than ever. But then something seemed to click. He didn;t know if it was sub-conscience or his guts.
Something was wrong with Jem.

No comments:

Post a Comment